18 November 2012

Supernatural Review - A Slice Of Kevin

Supernatural Review -- A Slice Of Kevin

Dean and Cas escaping the Phantom Zone.
Let me start by making an apology.

I didn't think Eugenie Ross–Leming and Brad Buckner could do this. Secretly, I didn't think they could take on a mytho heavy episode the way star writers such as Kripke, Carver, Edlund and Gamble did. I was wrong.

Eugenie Ross–Leming and Brad Buckner were writers and executive producers for Lois and Clark in its season three and four. For Supernatural, they wrote 1.13 Route 666 (the show's worst episode except the sex scene). They didn't return until season seven for 7.05 Shut Up, Dr. Phil, 7.13 The Slice Girls and 7.19 Of Grave Importance. For season eight, they wrote Heartache. And what's with
Ross–Leming and Buckner writing Dean's sex scenes? Interesting! Apart from the gratuitous fan service, their episodes are very hit-and-miss. I wasn't expecting anything when I saw their names attached to the episode. But good things do happen, my friends! 


Season eight of Supernatural is starting to get really really intriguing! I know what I said last week about Southern Comfort being my favourite episode 'so far' this season. Well, Southern Comfort is now one of my favourite episodes this season because A Slice Of Kevin happened. There is no doubt I will have more favourites as season eight continues. I hope A Slice Of Kevin is not a one off epic thing for Ross–Leming and Buckner, and I hope they can keep up the good work and just keep writing better and better episodes! Don't do 'miss', just do 'hit'! Oh! And!!! They managed to make fun of themselves! "Doesn’t anyone ever edit this stuff? So far, as a writer, God’s a snooze. No fun at parties, I hear.” Oh Crowley!! 


Before I continue, it's worth mentioning that this episode was directed by a new director Charlie Robert Carner. He has directed and written for a bunch of shows that I have never heard of. But he is good! He is very good! Basically if you don't know who wrote and directed this episode, you'd think Kripke, Carver or Edlund was the writer, and Singer, Bee or Beeson was the director! This episode is that good! I think it has a lot to do with the leadership from the top, Carver and Singer are doing an amazing job in holding the team together and everyone has to step up this season! There isn't many overnight successes in my book when it comes to Supernatural. Misha Collins is one. The Charlie Robert Carner/Eugenie Ross Leming/Brad Buckner team isn't one that I'm familiar with. However, there's gotta be the first! Carner is now on my radar, all I can say is this: Dude, keep up the good work!


Moving along!

I just had this smile on my face from start to finish. I wish I could've recorded my reaction so you could see it. I absolutely love the fact that Dean's hero complex is going to the direction it deserves; I love Sam being this caring little brother, which was missing in previous episodes; I love the fact that Castiel is back and angels are involved (like..hello..Col. Carter aka Amanda Tapping!); I love Crowley is back with his apron doing what he does best; I love Kevin and Mrs Tran; the prophets are great to see in this episode, and we get a bit of an insight into the selection process and learn a bit more about the prophets. Before I continues, can I just say I feel so sorry for Alfie the angel!?


I mentioned in my previous review that A Slice Of Kevin sounds like an epic mid-season finale on paper! But it is so much more than that now that I've watched it like four times! Any time you have all the season's key players returning for an episode, it's gonna be epic. More importantly, what makes A Slice Of Kevin so epically good is that the story is moving forward with a few things, which we will get into them momentarily. A Slice Of Kevin is the end of 'Act I' of season eight. 'Act II' is just around the corner. It's like Indiana Jones is now going to Nepal! to find the medallion.



A Slice Of Kevin is a great call back to the Dean and Cas story earlier seasons, in particular season four and five. I have been looking forward to see how Dean and Cas would interact this season with purgatory behind them. This episode delivers one of the best Dean and Cas scenes -- just like their first encounter in Lazarus Rising; in Lucifer Rising when Dean asked Cas to help him; the fall-out in The Man Who Would Be King; and the garage scene in Survival Of The Fittest. These scenes represent the different stages of their friendship. The Dean and Cas scenes in A Slice Of Kevin are so awesome, I am still processing it. 


Jensen Ackles' performance and his on-screen chemistry with Misha Collins is unbelievably good. Jensen totally knocks this one out of the park again! Apart from his exceptional good look and kind personality, I always see Jensen as the greatest actor in his generation. Jensen really took his acting to the next level in season four and five. They were supposed to be his Emmys winning seasons. If Ryan Reynolds or Chris Evens can do it, Jensen can do it better, you know what I am saying?

“I don’t need to feel like hell for failing you like I’ve failed ever other God forsaken thing that I care about. I don’t need it!” ~~ Dean Winchester.
Jensen is taking the whole Dean's hero complex thing forward in season eight. The 'I must save everyone', the 'I don't leave anyone behind' mentality is super well told in this episode. He has been on edge, angry, somewhat bitter. Dean always blames himself for every death. In Time After Time, he told Ness he didn't know what he was doing. Ness reminded him that as a hunter, he can make a difference. This is the only clarity he'll ever get. Dean questions his role all the time but he accepts his role better than Sam I think -- it is up to him and his brother to save people and the world. Not only Dean saves people from monsters, he saves his brother and his friends from their own darkness. Dean is a hero and he cannot not save people. In purgatory, Dean was confident that he could get Cas out of because his mind told him that. He tried so hard to get Cas out, but why didn't Cas try? 


CHOICE is a bit of a recurring theme so far this seasons -- Sam chose to quit hunting and switch off his phones; Kevin chose to take a stand and defend himself, and to embrace his life as the prophet; Mrs Tran chose to be on the road with Kevin. Dean's hero complex position him in the middle of all these -- if Sam fails to live his normal life or if Sam gets hurt, it is Dean's fault for dragging him back to hunting; Kevin is the responsibility of Dean and Sam; and Cas is for Dean to save. That's his job! But what Cas did in this episode was to make Dean to understand he cannot save everything, he tried, but he cannot. And it's not his fault.


Let's put Cas under the microscope for a bit. I liked the return of Castiel in season seven, but Ross–Leming and Buckner have taken it to the next level. Don't get me wrong, I love the way Sera Gamble did it. Like I said I didn't think Ross–Leming and Buckner could top that. For that, I am surprise, but in a very good way. I think this 'Cas-thinks-he-doesn't-deserve-to-be-saved thing' is a great call back to season four. Cas was the one who asked Dean during their first encounter, "You don't think you deserve to be saved?" Easy question, but it is a very complex question. Cas is now on the flip side of this and his journey is filled with humanity, mistakes, friendship, forgiveness, understanding and much more.

I like my Castiel with wings.
It was Cas who gave up in purgatory because he believed he deserved to be in there. If God doesn't punish him, Cas will punish himself by staying in purgatory. Cas couldn't tell Dean how he felt, he couldn't tell him he was planning to stay all along. With Dean looking right into his eyes, Cas told him that it is not Dean's fault. It was his CHOICE! It was his WILL. Cas wanted to make sure Dean got to the portal safely, that's why Cas went with him. Cas pulled away in the last second and sent Dean home. I love this! 

Now that he is back, there is no doubt that Cas wants to make Dean proud. He won't want to disappoint Dean because he knows how hard Dean tried to save him from purgatory and from his own darkness. It will take some time for Dean to process Cas' original intention to stay in purgatory, but this will only make him love Cas more. And it's not my intention to make Destiel fans happy! At least for now, it's a closure to the 'has Dean forgiven Cas?' story line. He has. Get over it! Having said that, I don't think Cas will ever forget himself as seen in Reading Is Fundamental and Survival Of The Fittest.


Let's talk about Sam. I like Sam better in this episode because he shows Dean that he cares. "Are you ok?" "Are you guys good?" I love that! Why can't Sam be like that every week? And I think now that Cas is back, Sam is getting the insights into purgatory. It is the case of 'you have to be there to understand'. But I hope he will understand the hardship Dean went through in purgatory and why Benny was an important part of journey. I read the episode synopsis of Citizen Fang. Ah! If Benny is a bad monster, fine, I can live with that. But if he isn't, I want Sam to accept him and then move on. PS: Sam's hair is really well styled in this episode. Just saying! His hair inspires me. All we need now is to see Sam and Dean communicating with each other and put the 'you left me to die for a girl' and 'why haven't you killed Benny' thing behind.
 


Is it just me or is Kevin is turning into a mini-Dean? His outfit and the way he checked out the witch's backside. That's so Dean! But in all seriousness, poor kid! I hope Cas fixes his finger! I like how Kevin tried to not to give in to Crowley. He is a good kid with a good soul. This is Kevin's life now and Mrs Tran is part of that life. I love that scene when Dean busted in to the torture room (yeah Kev, now THIS is a torture room!), Dean went straight to Cas and Kevin went for what was left of the tablet. And he wouldn't let it go from that moment on. So who is Kevin's father? George Takie? Or Ken Watanabe?

Osric Chau and Lauren Tom have a great chemistry as mother and son. I love how Mrs Tran is so involved she knows how to fight demons and make demon bombs. She is one tough cookie! Now that Garth is keeping an eye on them, the three of them can have a Supernatural comedy spin-off! I mean, Kevin is pretty serious, but you get what I mean? Stick around Kev! We love you! I also like the fact that Garth is mentioned. It's pretty safe to say Garth will be back later on the season. He has to. He must! 

Is it just me or do you find the Beauty and the Beast screen caption funny on this shot of Crowley?
The tablet in this episode gave Crowley enough information. What was God thinking? And  why did Metatron take a leave of absent? Where did this angel go? I have a theory about Amanda Tapping's Naomi. I think she is Metatron. I think she is back to put the house in order. I just love seeing Col. Carter on the show!! I wish we get to Chuck to return to the show as God. This is not the God that we have seen in pop culture. You have Morgan Freeman and all that, but Rob Benedict has something different to bring to this role. And I would really love to see that to happen! It's Supernatural, it's not impossible! 


So now. I assume Dean and Sam know what Crowley knows. With Kevin on their side on Garth's watch and Cas is back, Dean and Sam do have the advantage. It's a matter of finding a compendium of tablets and sealing of the gate of hell. We don't know how involved the angels will be. But Naomi looked concern when Cas told her about the prophet, tablets Dean and Sam. Is she Metatron? If so, does she know where God is? What will happen when Dean and Cas find out the angels are involved? Is it possible that Naomi will help all along without them realising it?

Gratuitous fan service!
The rating for A Slice Of Kevin is good!!! According to TVByTheNumbers, this episode "tied its season high with a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating, matching last week’s performance." Good move for the CW to put Supernatural on Wednesday and pair it with Arrow!

So now we wait. We have a one week break before the next episode. *Sign* Here is the description of Hunteri Heroici which airs on November 28 on the CW:


CARTOONS AREN’T ALWAYS FUNNY — Castiel (Misha Collins) tells Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) that he’s decided to become a hunter like them. Sam and Dean aren’t sold on the idea but agree to investigate a case Cas found where a man’s heart literally burst through his chest. The guys discover there has been more than one odd murder in the small town and all of them resemble cartoon deaths. Paul Edwards directed the episode written by Andrew Dabb. 


8 comments:

  1. Great review Tiny! I also loved this episode. Probably my favourite...though the last 3 have been my favourite so who knows!

    I am so pumped for the story this season. I love the angels. I can't wait to find out what they're up to.

    After the tight, enclosed feeling of last season, this season feels so much more expansive with all these interesting characters to keep the brothers on their toes!

    Love it! Love Carver! Love Dean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I have faith in Jeremy Carver for bringing in new perspectives but not reinventing the wheels.

      Love season eight!! I love Dean, but of course you know that already.

      (((bear hugs)))

      Tiny

      Delete
  2. Deanie _24 Another great episode. Another intense episode. I still loved last week's episode the best, but this one had some great Tran moments! Great Purgatory scenes once again! Nicely tackled Tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! I love last week ep, and this week is epic! I love them all!! How can we not to? Season 8 is going so well, I don't ever want this to end!!

      Bring it!

      (((bear hugs)))

      Tiny

      Delete
  3. Agree agree and agree !!! Thanks hon another great review from you. For beginner like me Nice to know more about writers and who behind story!
    Yeas the episode is EPIC! I still digest it! LOL Lots going on ! But it had answered our question about Dean and Cas. Hope it will help Dean stop been so hard for every bad thing happen! And might help him to think and let go about Sam issue. So the Brothers could keep all energies to kick asses!
    XXXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe! I love the whole Dean's hero complex thing. Love it love it love it!

      I learn some much from Supernatural from an aspiring writer POV. I always pay attention to the writer's style. Buckner and Ross-Leming haven't been my favourite for obvious reasons, but this epis is their best and I don't want them to stop being awesome! We need them to be awesome!

      (((Bear hugs)))
      Tiny
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. nice Tiny! so much was going on here we could all look at things differently grabbing meaning and have it all make sense! more of that PERCEPTIONS thing! I was so excited about this episode. Loved the interactions with Cas, with Sam, with Dean, just everyone was on their game. so much to go through. And yes, I totally gave a sigh of exasperation when I saw that Buckner and Ross-Leming were the writers. Just wasn't expecting it! But apparently a lot of the "lesser thought of" writers seem to be stepping up their game this year! maybe there is a better foundation of storyline to work with? Maybe Carver has given them more of a solid foundation of what is going on with which to work? I can only guess, but whatever it is, it is working and I think that the better night, better lead in, and how kick ass revolution is doing can really help supernatural increase viewing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. You are exactly right! The whole perception thing is an important theme.

      Something is working for season 8 and it's so awesome! Not to say previous seasons (6-7) were not good, they were great. But at least we don't have the 'WTF Grandpa is doing'& 'just tell me what the Leviathans are doing already' thing. Every problem or question is being resolved bit by bit, we are moving forward. There is something very Kripke about this season in terms of the story-telling style. And it's awesome!

      (((Bear hugs)))

      Tiny
      xoxo

      Delete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.