08 September 2013

Review: JOBS


As a fan of Steve Jobs, his philosophy, legacy and Apple, I am always going to bias and love everything before I even know what I am buying. This applies to the bio-pic, JOBS. Here are just a few thoughts after the movie yesterday.

This movie wasn't going to be Lincoln, Iron Lady or Forrest Gump. This movie wasn't going to make anyone like or dislike Steve more. The story wasn't going to be well written. This movie wasn't going to give Ashton Kutcher any Oscar nomination. This movie wasn't going to make anyone including Steve Wozniak happy. This movie wasn't going to make Internship looked like the best thing since instant noodles. If I were Steve Jobs, I probably yelled at writer Matt Whiteley, "FIX IT! CRAP AND MY NAME DON'T APPEAR IN THE SAME SENTENCE!"

But you know what... I love the movie. 

I can't really pin point exactly why I love it. But I do. I do think that the movie did pick the right period to focus on. The story only just stretched the surface, it didn't really go in-depth into Steve's personality. I mean, it is a difficult task to write a bio-pic on someone like Steve...where do you start? I wouldn't love to see something like this as a TV/mini series or even a documentary series, that way, you get to focus on different periods and spend more time in writing the character. The story was very rush, and I didn't like how the ending was wrapped up. The story and the script could definitely be treated much better. I do think this is Ashton Kutcher's best performance. I mean, the guy is Ashton Kutcher! He isn't a bad actor, but I think he did a good job and at least he looked like Steve! The soundtrack was actually very good and I like the choices of songs from Cat Stevens and Bob Dylan. The whole time in the cinema, I didn't want the movie to end and I was surprised I was so touched by so many little moments. Yes, I admit, I cried a few times.

The movie isn't going to be even remembered by many people, which is a shame because Steve Jobs will always be one of the most influential innovators of this generation. He will always be my hero. I just think that this movie is so special to a fan like me. After watching the movie, I realised how much I missed Steve Jobs and I do want to read Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson probably. He was the reason we are living the future that he imagined and created. We are part of his revolution. We are inspired by his idea, creativity and innovation. We embrace being geeks. He was the first person who told me it was cool to be different. I miss him and I will always look to him whenever people give me shit. Remember, it is OK to be different. 

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." ~Steve Jobs~

Here's one of my favorite Steve Jobs speeches. 

"If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle for the sake of settling. As with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it..." - Steve Jobs 

And now.. when is the Gold iPhone coming out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.